Tuesday, May 5, 2009

The Next Greg Maddux???

I am trying NOT to be the bragging mother, but I'm having a VERY hard time! Joshua (very nonchalantly) entered a Pitch, Hit, Run competition at the park. It was put on by the Athletic Assoc that runs his baseball league and headed up by his coach, Mike. Steven took him on Sunday to the competition. No one really thought anything of it.

He had to pitch 5 times and try to hit a certain target. Then he hit a ball off a tee to see how far he could hit it in the air. Then he was timed as to how fast he could run the bases. I know he can't run very fast. He can hit pretty well. But I know that (at least I think) he is a great pitcher. I didn't make a big deal out of it. When he and Steven came home, he told me that he tied for 1st place in his age group for the pitching part of the competition. I was floored! Wow! But, truthfully, as good as I think he is, I thought for sure someone would come up after him and would do better. NOPE! We were notified yesterday that he stayed tied for 1st place. That means that he gets to move up to the next level! He will compete on May 17 in Gainesville in all 3 categories again. He is so pumped! And so are we! IF (big IF) he wins that, he will go to another competition at Turner Field AND IF he wins that, he will go to St. Louis for the All-Star Game. Wow! I really don't expect him to get that far, but he certainly could! I can't even imagine! Could I have the next Greg Maddux on my hands?

I was listening to Don Sutton on the radio last night doing the Braves game. He said he started playing baseball at the age of 11 (Joshua started at 4 and loved it before then. He was just too young to play.) Don started as a shortstop. He said he couldn't run, hit or field. So the next year, at 12, he became a pitcher. He hasn't played another position since. And he played in the majors. If Joshua is good now, at 8, what will HE be like at 12? Could he REALLY be a major leaguer? Wow! I can't wrap my brain around that one. But wouldn't it be great!

1 comment:

Margery said...

Hi Stacey,
Just thought I would stop by to say "hello" on your blog!