Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Praise Challenge - Day 2 - Where do I throw away my confidence?

Today was a better day.  I have enjoyed my kids today and there weren't any major issues.  Finals are coming up next week and they aren't studying as I would like them to.  But  I am trying to allow them to be who they are.  I encourage studying (doing my part as a mom to bring it up) and let them decided how best to do that for them.

(BTW, I am listening to Laure Story as I type this.  She has the best praise music of anyone I have found yet.  All of her songs really seem to speak to me personally.  Also, I think she's a great mom and a model of what I would like to be more like.)

How do I throw away my confidence?  Negative self talk?  Sometimes.  But I think my biggest issue is comparing myself to other parents or my kids to other kids.
1.  They seem to have it all together and their kids are great and social and have future plans.  What's wrong with us?
2.  Those kids make friends so easily and are always out.  Why are my kids at home so much and not out with friends?
3.  How does that parent stay so calm is difficult situations while I tend to lose it?
4.  How do they always know the right thing to say but I never seem to know what to say to help my child?

There is a comparison of myself to other parents, or at least what I see of other parents. However, I need to also make myself realize that I am seeing them possibly at their best.  I am not in their home day to day.  I'm sure they struggle with things as well.  I can't compare myself to what I see on Facebook because that is where people put their best face on anyway, right?  Just as I don't show all my struggles out in public, I'm sure they don't either.  Lord, help me remember that we are all in the same boat.  Though we may struggle with different aspects of parenting, we all struggle.  No one is the perfect parent....except You.

I also second guess my decisions.  Did I make the right decision to quit working and stay home with the kids?  Was it right to only work part time once they were older?  Should I contribute more financially to help the family out so that is one less struggle?  Has my being at home a lot caused them to not learn how to be at home alone or do things for themselves?  God, help me remember that you gave me each of these children.  You chose me to be their mom for a specific reason.  And you helped me make certain decisions along the way that put me right here.  Right where you want me to be.  I trust you so help me be confident in knowing that I am enough and that I am right where I am supposed to be.  May I use the time I have at home with them to teach them how to care for themselves and show them your guidance and provision through my own example.

Thank you Jesus!
Amen

No comments: