Monday, February 15, 2010

Elijah grows up....and snow!

Well, it finally happened. Elijah, at the age of "still 4, Mom", has dressed himself! For quite some time now I have been coaching him on how to take his clothes off and put clothes on. He caught on just enough to pull his pants up and down to go to the bathroom. But everything else was "Mommy, help me!" (I was really getting frustrated. As most moms know, "can you child manipulate his/her clothing?" is one of those dr. check up question that you are tempted to lie about so the dr doesn't think you are a terrible mother. But it's just been easier for me to dress him and get us on our way.)
But today, while folding his laundry, I got him to pick out his clothes (even though he pulled pants from the dirty clothes basket) and dress himself from shirt to socks. It's about time! He took off his pjs and put on his clothes all by himself. He got frustrated a few times (and so did I) but he did it! Now...if I can just get him to keep doing it!

Also, there was snow over the weekend. After living in Montana for years, not that big of a deal to me, but it is to the kids. They were hoping school would be cancelled on Friday. Nope! But everything was white when they got off the bus at 4pm that afternoon. They enjoyed playing in it that afternoon and the next morning. They all got together with the neighbor kids and went sledding down our yards, our street, and made snowmen. Even Elijah (yes, I have the right kid) went sledding. Well, only once. He got in the sled and I sort of "accidentally" pushed him down the hill. He loved it! "Mom, I went backwards! And so fast. That was awesome!" said the 4-year old. Well, let's do it again! I carried the sled back up the hill for him. As he was getting in it, it slipped out from under him and he fell in the snow. I couldn't get him to sled down the hill again after that. He resorted, instead, to running down the hill over and over again chasing the people who were sledding. What's the difference? I don't know. But I stopped trying to figure out his child logic a while ago.

Zach and Joshua had no fear. Joshua was getting up some great speed down the street. And Zach was the first one to just plop down in the snow and make a snow angel. It was fun to watch. I'm so glad we live where we do. Lots of hills (great for snow) and lots of kids (great for friends)! I (yes I) even sledded down the hill once or twice. And so did Steven. More than I can say my mom and dad ever did with us when we were kids. But again, this is Georgia. Snow doesn't come along that often.

No comments: