Thursday, February 4, 2010

I WANT MY MOMMY!

February 4, 1947 in Meridian, MS...my mom was born. Thursday, February 19, 2001 at 7:45 pm in Snellville, GA, lying in a hospital bed in the middle of the living room I grew up in....my mom died.

This has been a tough day for me for almost 9 years now. I try to turn it around and make it positive and celebrate the wonderful life that my mom lived. She was a fantastic lady. She was friendly, outspoken, sold out to Jesus, and a fighter. She was also, of course, a great mom! But it makes me sad that she is not here for me to celebrate her birthday. The last birthday I celebrated with her was her 54th. We had a party for her at my house in Sugar Hill. She was so weak and frail at that point. My first son was only 5 months old. If I remember correctly, Garalyn made her famous peanut butter cake, but I don't even think Mama ate any. She seemed distant the entire time. I knew she didn't feel well, but we had battled with that for 4 years and learned how to roll with it. Little did I know that the following week her doctor would tell her there was nothing more he could do for her and we would call in Hospice to help make her comfortable until she went to be with Jesus. I didn't know then that it would be the last birthday I would spend with her. I miss her a lot! She never got to know my kids. They would have loved her! And vice versa!

But thank God that she was born 63 years ago, met and married my dad and had me and my sister. I LOVE YOU MAMA! I'll see you again soon enough.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

No comments: