Sunday, August 17, 2014

Sunday Night

Not much going on in the Julian house lately.  Well, that's not entirely true.  There is A LOT going on, but none of it noteworthy or worth writing about.
The kids have been in school now for 2 weeks and are getting adjusted.  JJ is in 8th grade and realizes that things are getting harder.  Especially math.  Luckily, his wonderful mother went to Tech, where the is lots of it, and loves math! So we end up sitting together doing math for hours.  I like it.  I'm not so sure that he does.  The rec baseball season is starting and his travel team is also practicing some this fall.  Whenever I put baseball stuff on the house calendar, I have to specify whether it's travel or rec, just so he knows what and who to expect.  Steven is coaching both, so it gets a bit confusing.  He will be turning 14 in less than a month so I am trying to figure out what to do for him. We bought him a new bat, which is what he wanted, but I want to do something on his actually birthday too.

Zach is getting adjusted to middle school.  Homework on weekends is still new.  We installed a rule of no Xbox until homework is done.  I think that is helping.  That way no one gets to Sunday night without having their homework done.  They wouldn't dare miss their Xbox time!  He has joined Chess Club that meets once a week and has decided to join the orchestra.  (He's never even seen a stringed instrument up close.)  We went on Friday and rented him a cello.  This should be fun!  Now he wants to start a chess club/class for the neighborhood and have people pay him to give them tips.  Not sure how well that will go over, but I like how he thinks.

Elijah is adjusting to 3rd grade as well.  He's very good at doing exactly what he's told, but not so good at improvising or inferring anything.  He got a 38 on his first cold reading test (yes, out of 100) because he just didn't connect that the questions were about the passages he just read.  We went over it at length and, hopefully, he will understand more next time.  He continues OT starting tomorrow.  That helps his hands and muscles, but not how his brain works.  I am working with him but am curious if he needs more help than what I can offer.  His friend, Christopher, came over to play yesterday and he loved it!

Steven is about done with his softball season.  He'll be going out of town for a few days for work this week, which is odd.  But I think he'll enjoy it.  Work is going well and he loves helping people.  We have volunteered to be small group leaders for the youth (back at it again!).  That will start in September.  With the understanding that we will NOT be leading a group with our kids in it.  We'll see how that goes.  He and I are still yard saling on Friday mornings and enjoying the time together.  It's almost like a date night.

I am still running my business.  It's been a bit slow lately.  With school starting and various other things going on, I haven't been able to replenish my inventory.  This are starting to pick up though so I'm glad.  Our master bathroom is getting remodeled this week. I'm so excited!  I've waited 6 years for this and can't wait to see it when it's done.  I'll take before and after pics and post them when all is said and done.  I also start back working at Perimeter this week for the kick off.  I've missed my co-workers so this will be fun.

So, that's it.  Nothing major.  I'm going to see Garth Brooks in September and am SUPER excited!  The last time we were able to get tickets, it was my honeymoon week and I couldn't go!  This will make up for it.

Have a great week!

No comments: