Monday, August 4, 2014

Zach

Zach has been such a trooper.  I knew he was a little nervous about starting middle school, but he seemed to be handling it very well.  He even told me today that he was even looking forward to it because Elijah was starting to annoy him.  He seemed much better after attending Jump Start (a mini camp for rising 6th graders to get them acquainted with the school.)  And after finding out all of his classes were right together put him completely at ease.

But, as I was tucking him into bed tonight, he cried.  We were talking and he said he was nervous.  I gave the normal "Mom" speech telling him everyone is nervous and that it's normal.  The other kids in his class will be nervous too and the teachers know and will do everything they can to set them at ease.  Then Steven prayed for him.  As I told him good night, he lost it.  I couldn't leave him like that.  I had to comfort my baby.
I know what it's like to be nervous.  I get that way every time I start a new job.  I'm training some people tomorrow and that makes me nervous.  But what can I do or say to my sweet boy to make it ok?  I assured him that Joshua would be there to help him.  JJ would make sure he got to homeroom ok and meet him after school to get him to the car rider lane.  I gave him a big hug (as big as I could with him lying in bed an me kneeling beside him.)  Then he said, "God bless you.  You are the best mom I could ever have."  That made ME cry.  I get so frustrated with him and fuss at him, but he still loves me and thinks I'm great.  Made me feel a bit guilty.

Anyway, after saying a few other things through some tears, I told him that he would light up that school when he walked in the door.  He immediately pulled away and, without skipping a beat, said, "Does that mean I'm supposed to be a light bulb?" and started laughing.  He is so funny!  That got us all laughing and I felt he was ok enough to kiss good night and leave the room.  I am praying that he sleeps tonight and wakes up ready to tackle middle school.

So, if you read this, and you think about it around 9 am on Tuesday morning, I would appreciate your prayers for him for a smooth transition, new friends, and confidence to make it through.
Thanks.

No comments: