Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Meds, and other things

JJ's trip to Jekyll Island was successful.  He had a great time, got little sleep and a lot dirty.  He discovered how difficult it is to sleep in a room with 6 other boys and appreciates his own room. He also came home with someone else's shirt (?).  But he survived and enjoyed it.  We missed him (it was quieter) but we are very glad to have him back. So are his brothers.

The day after we picked him up, it was time to take Zach to the doctor.  He has now been diagnosed with inattentive ADD.  Meaning, mostly, that he is a distraction to himself but not to others.  There is, of course, no official test for ADD.  This is all based on info I gave him from a psychologist, meetings with the school psychologist, and questionnaires from me, Steven, his current teacher and last year's teacher.  (His current teacher has a son diagnosed with ADHD so she understands.  She also told us at his conference that she loves how his mind works so she seems to understand him.)  So we started him on meds this week.  Not what I wanted to do, but I've been trying to deal with it on my own for almost 4 years now.  I've been trying to put things in place to help organize him and keep him on track.  While they may help, now, they just haven't been enough.  The day AFTER he was prescribed meds (but before taking them), I got an email from his teacher that he had a really bad day, not turning things in, not remembering WHERE to turn them  in, not being on task and just wandering around the classroom.  That sounds about right.

So we started him on meds this past Saturday over the long weekend to see how they affected him.  So far, so good.  There are some side effects, but he doesn't seem to be experiencing any, yet.  He worked diligently on homework on Monday morning (not something he would normally do) and got a good report today, his first day at school on meds.  So, we'll see.

It was a somewhat depressing day, though.  Two ladies I work with lost their step dads in the last week and are both very sad.  Also, another lady I know lost her oldest son (a teenager) suddenly this week.  I pray that God brings comfort to each of them and their families and that He would use it to draw them close to Him.

I get 2 days off work this week since things are a bit slow.  But I think that is a God thing because Zach and Elijah just so happen to have Field Day on each of the days I have off this week.  So I get to go.  They asked me  to, anyway.  I would be honored.

Well, the Red Sox won and I don't care about this baseball game, so I'm headed to bed.
I enjoyed the weekend with the family, seeing my sister and her kids and watching my niece play softball.  I also enjoyed helping her with her geometry homework.  I find it nice that they call me for math help.  My kids don't need any, yet, so it makes me feel useful and keeps my brain sharp.

Good night!

No comments: