Sunday, August 10, 2008

Family Fun

Well, I forgot to take my camera, so there are no pictures. But we went to my Aunt's house yesterday for a summer pool party. We've been doing that for years! It started out as a July birthday party because so many people in my family, on my mom's side, have birthdays in July. Now it's more just a time to get together. It's fun! I only see them about once or twice a year. I really enjoy getting caught up. Without my mom to tell me what is going on with everyone, I have to do it.
The kids really enjoyed it as well. Joshua was jumping off the diving board the ENTIRE time! Steven ended up being the quarterback for the day, throwing the football in at the boys who were jumping off, trying to see who could catch it in the air and hang on to it once they hit the water. Zach even jumped off the diving board...with his Spiderman ring, of course. And, yes, I got Elijah in the pool! He pitched a fit about putting on his bathing suit and then screamed bloody murder when we first got in the pool, but then he came around. He even let Steven hold him in the water. That has NEVER happened before! But Elijah soon grew tired of it and wanted to get out and change his clothes. He had worn the only shirt we had into the water. The only other shirt we had was a Cars shirt that he has, thus far, REFUSED to wear. Sure enough, he screamed when I put it on him. He tugged and pulled at it for a good 10 minutes once he had it on stating he wanted it off. But, sure enough, he forgot about it after a while and wore it for the rest of the day. Sometimes you just have to endure a little bit of fuss to get the result you want...and to show the kids who is boss. It's me...not them.

But, anyway, it was great to get caught up with my cousins and their kids and my aunts and uncles. They are such great people! I only wish my parents had lived long enough to enjoy these outings more and see my kids and my sister's kids. They would have loved that!

Another great thing was that Steven and I finally got to go see the new X Files movie on Friday. We were HUGE fans of the show when it was on. (Just ask our church in Virginia!) But we've been having trouble finding a babysitter. So, my sister came over Friday after work with her kids and watch them all while Steven and I went out to the movie. Then she spent the night and went with us to my aunt's for the party. It was great to have that time with Steven. I forgot how important it is. We get so wrapped up in work and kids and just daily life that we don't stop to take time for each other. I'm glad we did. We had appetizers and drinks (yes, drinks) at Outback and then went to the movie. It was great! Nothing spectacular, but perfect for the avid X Files fans that we are. We loved it!

It was also great to spend some time with my sister. She lives in the area, but on the other side. It takes about an hour to get to her house from mine. So we don't see each other all that often. We talk on the phone, but usually while she's working. So it was nice to have some time with her and her kids.

And now, my kids start school tomorrow. I'm very nervous. Not so much for Joshua, he's used to it. But Zach will be starting Kindergarten. He is almost a full year younger than Joshua was when he started. So Zach seems so young! I'm just worried about him. I know he'll be fine. God will take care of him, along with his older brother and all the teachers at the school. But I can't help feeling sad about it. I know I'll cry after I drop them off. And they are riding the bus home. My little 5 year old on the bus! I would NEVER have done that unless he had a big brother on there with him! Please just pray that I make it through tomorrow. I know the kids will have a great time! But it will take some getting used to for me.

No comments: