Sunday, September 8, 2013

A typical Sunday

I have a confession to make.  I haven't been to church in over a month.  No, I haven't turned away from Jesus.  My new job made me choose a weekend day to work and I chose Sunday.  I didn't want to choose either, but Sunday just made the most practical sense.  Saturdays are baseball days.  With Steven coaching Zach's team and Joshua playing at a totally different park, we are going to have to divide and conquer this season more than ever.  As a compromise, I am listening to Pastor Steve's podcasts in my car while I waiting to pick up the kids at school.  Also, I'm going to start going to a women's Bible study at church this Wednesday (my other day off.  Maybe God did that on purpose...) so I will have some fellowship.  I've talked to my job about getting afternoon or evening Sunday hours, but nothing yet.  I'm low man on the totem pole right now, but maybe that will change one day.

Joshua and Zach both had their first baseball games of the season this weekend.  And, of course, they were at two different parks at EXACTLY the same time.  As much as I hated missing Zach's first game in a while, Steven was with him (coaching) so Elijah and I took JJ to his game.  We dropped him off at 8 for warm ups, then Elijah and I went to breakfast at CFA.  I love spending time with my kids one on  one.  He still just wanted to talk about WWE, but I engaged him as much as I could.  I just love him!

Joshua started off in right field, which made me laugh.  He hasn't played outfield in a while.  Then he played 1st base the next inning.  That's more his spot.  After the other team got 3 runs and the bases were loaded (from several walks) they called JJ in to pitch.  These times always make me nervous.  No one will be harder on JJ than JJ if he allows those runners to score.  But, somehow, he goes out there very cool and gets the job done, as he did that morning.  (I wonder how Craig Kimbrel's mom does it???)  He pitched the following inning as well and did great!  We lost the game, but more on errors that poor pitching.  The mound is farther from the plate in this league and he was still able to bring it.  I'm so proud of him.  (And he will be 13 this Saturday.  Can you believe that?!?!?!?)

Zach lost his game as well, but Steven said they fought hard.  Zach got to pitch.  He struck out 5 batters!  I wish I could have seen that!  He has another game on Friday so I will watch that one.  Elijah chose not to play baseball this season.  He didn't like getting hit by the pitches.  (With his SPD, it's just that much worse for him.)  And he's a lefty so that usually puzzles 7-8 year old pitchers since he's on the other side of the batter's box.  I didn't force it.  Even though I would secretly LOVE for him to become a pitcher.  Lefties are hard to come by.

So the running around begins.  Practices for both Zach and JJ (and JJ's travel team will want to be practicing too so we'll try to squeeze some of those in there), games, school functions, work, homework, etc.  Here's to craziness........

No comments: