Saturday, September 21, 2013

I Must Be Crazy!

My oldest son, Joshua (lovingly known now as JJ), turned 13 last week.  Yes, a teenager.  My first of my very own.  Today we had a birthday party for him. I took him and 5 other 12 and 13 year olds for 2 hours of bowling and then back to my house (yes, my house) for pizza. "How bad could it be?", I figured.  The problem is, I expect every boy to behave like my son.  They don't!

Joshua can definitely be weird and crazy.  He likes being known as a clown.  But nothing compared to what I witnessed today.  I guess some parents just don't teach their kids how to behave in public places or when they are with other people.  One kids was just out of control.  I had to speak to him many times for sitting on and in the ball return rack, lying on the floor with the ball, attempting to bounce it, adding butter to his cup of water, and (the real kicker) trying to enter the "above 21" area of the bowling area where they allow drinking and smoking.  I finally had to grab him by the arm and explain to him that he was old enough to control himself and behave appropriately in a public setting. He wouldn't even look at me.  I am still in shock.

I have often thought that my problem is that I expect too much from my kids.  However, especially after today, I realize that the REAL problem is that other parents don't expect enough from their kids.  At 12 years old, they should be able to control themselves in public and show respect for other people and property.  I guess some parents just don't teach their kids that.  Maybe it's too hard and they meet with too much resistance.  But I think it is necessary and that is part of what is truly lacking in today's kids.

Anyway.......Joshua had a great time with his friends and I'm glad.  That was the whole point anyway.  Though there will probably not be anymore birthday parties for a while, if ever.  I'm just not cut out for that.

No comments: