Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Julian Hospital

It doesn't happen often.  My kids don't get sick much.  But 2 of the 3 have been sick, with fevers, in the last 8 days.  Elijah missed a day of school last week and Zach missed today.  It's strange.  Elijah's only lasted a day, but Zach spent yesterday sleeping and still had a fever today.  He is getting to an age where missing school means getting behind.  I just hope he can catch up sufficiently.  He isn't doing so well in school so far.

All is quiet on the rest of the home front.  Rec baseball starts this weekend.  Zach has a game Saturday morning.  We've yet to receive Joshua's schedule, which irritates me just a bit.  They must think that we have no lives and no other plans to make.  Joshua turns 13 next week and I'm trying to plan a party.  However, without knowing if he has a game or not, it's very hard.  I've been putting it off so that his party wouldn't interfere with anyone's games.  But they are really pushing it.  I'm hoping to know tomorrow.

Friday marked my last day at work at Coolray Field.  I quit a few weeks ago after getting the job at Medieval Times.  I just couldn't do both, and didn't really want to.  However, they asked me to work the last two games, so I agreed.  It was bittersweet.  I walked away Friday night after clearing the suits for the last time.  I walked to my car and saw the fans standing by the clubhouse entrances waiting for autographs.  It was then that I realized I was walking away for the last time.  I have worked there for 5 years and loved most every minute of it.  I loved being so close to and involved with the game.  I loved getting to know the players and cheering for them when they made it to the bigs.  I loved being one of the only people to know who they were when they got there.  I love the people I work with.  It was a difficult decision to leave.  Those people have been like family to me.  ("My summer family" per Ben in Fever Pitch)  And so many people would love to have my job.  I just couldn't do it anymore.  So I left.  I will have to make a special effort to get to games next year so that I still know who's playing.

I still love baseball and will continue to follow it.  I will still plan vacations to various baseball stadiums around the country.  Boston.....here we come!

No comments: