Sunday, September 22, 2013

Discouraged

It just hasn't been a good day.  It seems that every day I tell my kids the same thing and they never seem to learn.  Every Sunday I ask them to dress in a collard shirt and decent shorts for church.  Not because they have to impress God or other people, but just to look a bit nicer one day our of the week.  They have finally, after several months, started to put on a nice shirt when they get up.  But inevitably 2 of them come downstairs in nice shirts and awful athletic shorts.  Then they get mad at ME when I ask them to go change shorts.

Then I find out that my 7 1/2 year old wet his bed last night. First time, I think, EVER!  He got up, changed clothes, and just didn't go back to bed because his bed was, quite obviously, wet.  However, he got dressed and made up his bed and went downstairs.  He didn't tell me about it until several hours later.  I do give him praise for telling me, but I also suggested that he start to tell me things a bit sooner next time.  So Steven and I went and purchased a new mattress for his bed today.  It is a cheapie Big Lots mattress, but will have to do until we can figure something else out.  (The mattress he had has been through all 3 kids.  It was the mattress on Joshua's toddler bed when he moved from the crib.)

Then I get to work and it's so slow that they send me home 3 hours early.  (I could really use the money.)  Steven and I go buy a mattress and my tire pressure light comes on.  We go put air in the tires and drive home.  The light is still on.  I remembered that my brake light is out (yes, on my new van!), so we went BACK to QT and got MORE air for the tires and stopped at Auto Zone to get a new bulb for my brake light.  GOOD NEWS....I, myself, changed the bulb in the brake light!

All this to say that God uses these days to help us realize just how much we need Him.  Now, I'm not a sappy Christian, one that cries a lot or is just overcome and overwhelmed by the things of God (only sometimes), but He said something to me today.

I heard a song on 104.7 The Fish on my way to work by Mandisa called "Overcomer".   I listened to the words, realized that it was speaking to me somewhat, acknowledged it, and went about my day.  3 hours later, I get back into my car to drive home from work (realize, this is a 5 minute drive for me), and the SAME song came on.  Here are the words:

Staring at a stop sign
Watching people drive by
T Mac on the radio
Got so much on your mind
Nothing's really going right
Looking for a ray of hope

Whatever it is you may be going through
I know He's not gonna let it get the best of you

You're an overcomer
Stay in the fight ‘til the final round
You're not going under
‘Cause God is holding you right now
You might be down for a moment
Feeling like it's hopeless
That's when He reminds You
That you're an overcomer
You're an overcomer

Everybody's been down
Hit the bottom, hit the ground
Oh, you're not alone
Just take a breath, don't forget
Hang on to His promises
He wants You to know

The same Man, the Great I am
The one who overcame death
Is living inside of You
So just hold tight, fix your eyes
On the one who holds your life
There's nothing He can't do
He's telling You

I hear you, God.  I hear you.  Thanks and I'll try to remember that next time and not let it get the best of me.

No comments: