Monday, August 5, 2013

The end...or is it the beginning?

Busy day today!  First of all, it's Monday night so, of course that means that I'm upstairs in my room watching the Braves (going for 11 straight!) while my boys are downstairs enjoying Monday Night RAW.  (It just started so they haven't gotten too loud yet.)  This will be the last week since they start school on Wednesday.  Joshua will be the only one allowed to stay up and watch the whole thing (since the other kids will watch an hour and then go to bed) and he knows to be quiet.

Speaking of school starting.....wow!  We spent all day getting ready for Wednesday.  We headed to the elementary school this morning for Zach and Elijah (Zach's last year!)  We got a car rider number so I can pick them up from school and bypassed all the other things in the cafeteria.  (I paid my fees and stuff online!)  So it was off the meet the kids' teachers.  We were closest to the 5th grade hallway so we headed to Zach's class.  His teacher seems very nice.  Zach's desk is near hers, which is probably a good idea.  She told me about how they will spend time getting to know each other, which is good.  I've heard that she's tough, but Zach needs that.  I then had to fill out a sheet of things I thought she should know about my son.  Oh my!  Where do I start?  Without sounding too negative, because I truly love my Zach, I tried to state that he is a brilliant, friendly kid who is misunderstood and doesn't like school.  (I think he could be the next Albert Einstein....seriously!  But I think school bores him so he doesn't do well and has trouble focusing.  Talking to the pediatrician about it next week.)  But he is funny and she will love him!

So...it's off to Elijah's class.  His teacher is new this year so I didn't know her from all the years we've been at this school.  She seems very nice ( and I got a good report from another 2nd grade teacher I know.)  He has quite a few friends in that class so I think that will help.  I also had to fill out a "what should I know" sheet for him.  That is always hard because what Elijah has is difficult to explain on paper.  I simply stated that he has SPD and is a bit OCD, likes routine and should really be told ahead of time if things will be changing from normal.  I wrote his name in his books and it was off to the middle school for Joshua.......

Or was it....

Along the way, we ran into many teachers that we've have met or have had over the years and stopped to chit chat.  Joshua talked to his 5th grade teacher, both he and Zach wanted to see their 4th grade teachers too.  We saw Zach's 3rd grade teacher, Elijah's Kindergarten teacher (the best ever!), and Joshua's 1st grade teacher.  (She is special because she was instrumental in helping Joshua adjust since we moved here from Montana in the middle of his 1st grade year.)  Getting through all that took quite a long time.  But, after catching up, and seeing our bus driver, we got our bus route and were headed off to the middle school.

Middle school open house is crazy!  There's nowhere to park and there are people all over the place!  We picked up Joshua's schedule and proceeded to walk through it, in order, as though he were in school so he could get an idea of where he was going. (Much easier now that he's done it for a year.  But I was also trying to show Zach around so he wouldn't be so freaked out next year.)  I tell ya, Joshua will definitely get his cardio in walking to his classes.  He starts out with 3 on the same hall, right next to each other, but then has to go all over the building.  Crazy!  Also, you don't get supply lists until you find out your teachers so we had to head off from there to get some last minute school supplies. 

One that was on my list that no one else knew about made Joshua very happy.  He will be turning 13 next month so we decided, for communication purposes, to get him a cell phone.  We headed over to the TMobile store for him to check things out.  Originally I didn't want to get him a smartphone because I didn't want him to have too much accessibility to the Internet like that.  However, after checking things out, it made the best financial sense to get him a Nokia Lumina 521?  It's a Windows phone and he is VERY (I can't CAP that enough!) excited!  It comes tomorrow and we'll activate it, put in the appropriate phone numbers, and get it set up for him.  So today we sat down and discuss the terms of our contract with the phone.  He agreed to all and will sign before I hand the phone over to him tomorrow.  He is almost giddy.

So they will spend their last day of summer vacation playing Xbox while I'm at work.  (I'm a bit nervous because training is over and it's time to take phone calls!) Then we will go to the pool after I get home.  Dinner and off to bed for school.  Where does the time go?  Where did my babies go?  Both Joshua and Zach can wear my shoes!  Zach's pajama pants look like capri pants.  They aren't babies anymore.  I love it and hate it all at the same time.

No comments: