Monday, August 12, 2013

Times they are a changin'

Well, it's official.  I am down to only 1 (yes, 1!) job!  I have officially left my job with the Gwinnett Braves.  (I will work 2 more games because I was asked very nicely, but won't work any until then.)  It was just getting to be too much.  I realize the season is almost over, but I don't really have the desire to work THAT many hours and run myself THAT ragged  until August is over.

I was getting up at 6:30, getting the kids off to school, work 8:30-2, off to the store or other errands, pick up at the elementary school, pick up at the middle school, home, change clothes, grab a quick bite and get to the stadium....late.  No time for pleasantries with my kids OR my husband.  No real time to eat at either job or in between.  Just not a good, healthy situation.  I've been thinking about it for a while now, especially now that my supervisor left.  (She's been there with me from the beginning.) It just isn't the same anymore and just wasn't worth the hassle for the payoff.  I will miss the people, the players, and the baseball, but I will get to enjoy my family more.  No more running off to work nights and getting home who knows when.  The 30 hours at Medieval Times will be more than enough.

I'm also looking for a new van.  Mine has 117,000 miles on it and the passenger rear door doesn't work.  (That is causing quite a stir when I pick the kids up at the elementary school!)  I'm just having trouble finding something that I want in my price range.  I really don't want leather seats (hot GA summers and a child with SPD just don't mix!)  I really don't want that 8th seat in the middle center either.  It just makes it harder to get to the back.  Not sure if I want power doors or not since that is what is wrong with my current van, but will Elijah be able to open the door?  He could learn.  I have a nice van and don't want to take a "step down" into a newer van.  Does that make sense?  Oh well...

I took Zach for his 10 year check up today...finally!  Thankfully, he is slender but not underweight.  However, the bean pole's cholesterol is high!  Not much, but just a bit.  I was shocked!  He's not the best eater, but I always figured he could use the calories since he's so thin (10 years old, almost 5 feet tall and weighs 74 pounds!)  He loves cheese so I figure that has a lot to do with it.  So I'm making changes to everyone's diet in hopes that it helps us all.  I have made several changes in the last year of two, but I get lazy and slack off a bit, especially in summer.  Trying to get them back on track.  I wasn't taught healthy eating habits as a kid.  You ate whatever you wanted whenever you wanted it.  (Hence the reason I was battling weight issues in 8th grade!)    So we are learning together.

No comments: