Wednesday, July 2, 2014

It went well...

My last post seemed a bit depressing so I wanted to end the day on a better note. 

I have NOT looked at Facebook today.  Well, not exactly.  I haven't checked anyone's status, spent unnecessary time reading all the posts or wasted time playing their games.  The only thing I did was check whenever someone responded to my signing off.  Not bad for a first day, I think.

In place of that, I made contact with a few people.  My friend came over with her children for a swim.  It was nice to spend some time with her.  We got to talk a little.  It was enjoyable seeing her with her young children at the pool (thankful that I'm not in that stage anymore.)  It was nice to see all the boys (there were 5 total, ranging from age 2 to 13) playing together.  And it was really great to see the youngest attach to JJ and to see JJ attempt to entertain him, while my other 2 boys couldn't have cared less.  I think we made have found something out about Joshua!

I also contacted my baseball friend and her family and invited them to come see fireworks with us and our church tomorrow night.  She agreed!  And that also lead to finding out that her daughter is singing the National Anthem at the Gwinnett Braves game this weekend so we are going to go and show our support for her.  (Granted, this was all done via text, but it will lead to a face to face encounter.)

2 contacts on my first day, not bad.

No, I'm not saying Facebook is bad.  And I may still check occasionally to see how my not local friends are doing.  I'm just trying to push myself to make a more personal connection with each person individually instead of posting something for everyone to see.  I think we've gotten too far away from being "personal" with all the technology at our fingertips.

As Meg Ryan said, "Whatever anything is, it ought to be personal."  And I agree.

See you tomorrow!

No comments: