Tuesday, July 15, 2014

The best laid plans....

Today did NOT end up the way I thought it would!  But then, what days do, I suppose.  This one was way off!

I dropped Zach off this morning for his Jump Start camp thing at the middle school to get him acquainted so it doesn't seem so scary the first day.  I came home and took a shower, knowing that I was going to be taking the van up to have some work done.  Both JJ and Elijah decided that they wanted to go, so off we went.

We got to the Honda place about 9:30 am.  (My tires had been running low on air so I've been putting air in them quite often lately.  Wanted to find out why.)  Right off the bat, he tells me I may need 2 new tires because the front ones are wearing thin.  Ok, but let's see what they find.

After maybe 30 minutes, he comes back out and tells me that there are nails in, not 1, not even 2, but 3 (yes, 3!) of my tires.  And the way the nails are placed, they can't just be patched.  So now I need 3 new tires.  Oh, and my front brakes need to be replaced.  Great!  I came in to get my tires patched and end up getting $900 worth of work done on my car.  But that's ok.  If it keeps the car running smoother longer, I'm ok with that.  So, they give me a rental car, another van, and let me take the kids home. They will call  me when it's done.  That sounds good to me.  I just needed to pick Zach up at 12:30 and the car should be ready right about then.  So we got in the rental van and drove home.

After some work and lunch, it was time to get Zach.  We spent a good 20 minutes in the pick up line.  I always hate that line.  While we were waiting, the Honda place called and told me the van was ready.  Great!  I'll come right after I get Zach.  Or so I thought!

While sitting as the 2nd car at the parking lot entrance/exit, waiting to get out (which is on a slight hill), the car in front of me starts rolling backwards.  Not a big deal, right?  Sometimes cars roll back a bit on a hill before they start going forward.  I've been in this parking lot enough over the last 2 years to know that.  But this was one wasn't stopping.  It just kept coming and coming.  I laid on my horn and then it happened.  BAM!  He backed into me!  (Remember, I'm in a rental van.)  I jump out to see what kind of damage has been done so I can report it to the rental company.  The van in front of me does nothing, almost like they were going to continue out of the parking lot.  I walk up by the window and he says, "Oh.  Did I get you?"  Um....yeah!  Didn't you hear the horn and the bang?

Anyway, I call the rental company to let them know.  They are going to want a police report.  So I call the police and tell the guy he needs to wait.  Now the damage to his van was worse than mine.  After brushing off the residual paint from his van, my rental van only had a small knick in it.  No big deal, but it isn't mine and I don't want the rental company coming after me!  I get the guy's insurance information (some company I've never heard of) and wait for what seems like forever for the police.

Gwinnett Schools Police show up and take a report.  He's very nice and I'm trying to be lighthearted about it.  Things happen.  But, in the meantime, my kids are waiting in the car and I'm trying to go get my van so I can meet Steven so we can go shopping for items for the bathroom remodel.  But the guy has no proof of insurance.  He gave me his info, but he had nothing official....and his registration expires this month.  Ugh!  So he called his insurance company, they talked to the police to verify, and a report was filled out.  I was free to go.

I drove up to the Honda place to turn in the rental car.  They, of course, has to fill out a report as well.  The 2 guys working there were very helpful and nice about it, but it was one guy's first time filling out an accident report.  That took forever!  After giving them all the info I had and them assuring me that they wouldn't charge ME for the damage, I was cleared and headed off to pick up the van.  My service advisor was nowhere to be found.  Finally someone helped me, I paid (less than expected, so that was good) and was ready to go home.  They couldn't find my keys.  Ugh!  Found the keys, got in the car and promised the kids a Happy Hour milkshake from Steak N Shake for their patience.  It had now been 2 hours since I had picked up Zach.

What are the odds?  I got the rental van and drove straight home.  The only other place I had to go was pick up Zach.  They told me I could get my van right after that so I was going right back to the car place.  In that 2 miles, I was hit.  Ugh again!

So we got milkshakes, one for Steven too who was waiting patiently for us at home, and headed home.  We picked up Steven and headed out to find some items for the bathroom.  It was in the middle of this activity that it hit me. 

ZACH DIDN'T EAT LUNCH!

He is fed a snack at the school but eats lunch when he gets home, around 1pm.  Well, we didn't get home then.  We picked him up, waited around forever, picked up the van, got home around 3 and left again.  I felt so bad for him!  Thankfully we had promised them dinner anyway since we were out shopping.  So we went earlier than planned and got him some food.  There, of course, I ate too much and now feel terrible, physically and emotionally.

So I am sitting here watching the All Star Game, thinking I'll just stay in bed all day tomorrow.

But, as I posted the other, it could have been worse.

No comments: