Saturday, July 19, 2014

Lazy, rainy Saturday

Normally a Saturday morning in the Julian home would start early.  Everyone throws on clothes, gulps down breakfast, argues about what movie to bring in the car, and jumps into the van to head out for some yard sales.  See, that's how I make money.  We go to yard sales every Friday and Saturday morning buying other people's "junk" that is really worth more than they know.  I then bring it home and list it on ebay or Amazon and make money off of it.  It's fun.  Today was quite different.

This Saturday morning started with my middle son, Zach (now 11), woke us up at some time, I'm really not sure when, to tell us that the power was out.  (That's why I don't know what time it was. The clock wasn't working.)  I told him I knew that already and to go back to bed.  I laid there listening to the incessant rain falling outside.  At this time, numerous things occurred to me.  1) No yard sales for us today.  That's not terrible but will put a real damper on my workload this week.  2) Travel tryouts are cancelled.  All this time organizing dates, times and location and we don't get to do it anyway.  3) My sister probably won't be coming over today.  She was going to bring her kids and we were going to swim.  Not really swimming weather today.  Also, I have a dog and her family is deathly afraid of dogs so they won't come just to hang out.  (No biggie.  I don't hang out at her house either.)  So, whatever shall we do today?

The answer.....NOTHING!

Very rarely do we have a day where we are at home and don't do much of anything.  We are always working on something, cleaning something, you name it.  But we've decided to do nothing today.  We spent the morning watching American Ninja Warrior.  Steven turned it on and got the rest of us into it.  It's pretty cool and something I could NEVER do.  We got to see the first woman EVER to finish a finals course.  Then we discovered that Dirty Jobs is running a marathon today.  LOVE that show!  We watched an episode, ate some mac and cheese for lunch, and decided it would be a good day to head back to Home Depot to figure out what we wanted in out new bathroom, that should be coming in just over a week.

Since the rain had since subsided and the kids were playing Xbox, we headed out to Home Depot with my glasses (so I can see what we are shopping for), a pen and a notebook so that we make sure we have everything.  It was a very productive trip.  We've narrowed down just about everything.  There are so many things in a bathroom that you just never really think about.  What kind of light/fan do you want over the toilet?  Does it matter?  What kind of toilet?  One that flushes, please.  What should the faucets look like?  What about the shower head and knob?  Should they match?  Will the countertop we like match the floor tile we picked out?  What finish should all the fixtures be?  Ugh!  But I think we have it!

After an hour and a half, we returned home to find the kids STILL playing Xbox (they each get a hour when school's out).  But now they are done so we are sitting here again enjoying Mike Rowe and his endless list of Dirty Jobs.  He just cracks me up!

No comments: