Monday, July 8, 2013

And the sun comes out...

Not a lot happened today.  Not that that's a bad thing.  It was a nice, relaxing, comfortable day at the Julian home.  I ran a mile on the treadmill this morning, got some work done for Steven to help him along a bit, took JJ to the orthodontist and found out that he should have his braces off by Christmas.  (However, I thought it would be before that.  My contract says I stop paying in September, so as long as that happens, I'm good.)  Then I took the boys to Suwanee Town Park to run around in the fountains.  Well, Joshua and Zach ran around in the fountains.


 Elijah and I walked Sparky around the park.  Elijah, as a result of his Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD), doesn't like the water coming at him or falling on him.  Therefore, the fountain wasn't an option for him.  But I enjoyed walking around and talking to him.  He has a difficult time expressing himself, also due to his SPD, so it takes some prying to get things out of him.  For example, I knew he wouldn't go in the fountain because the water is coming at him, but he wouldn't tell me that.  His favorite answer is "I don't know".  I'm trying to get him to really answer my questions instead of bailing out with his trusty "I don't know".  It takes more time in a conversation, but I think it's worth it.

Elijah seems so normal on the outside.  I mean, he is normal.  But he is different too.  I know.  Everyone is different.  But Elijah is unnoticeably different.  He doesn't appear "special needs" and I hesitate to call him that, but it fits in some ways.  I have to think specifically about him in many situations and make accommodations for him.  It's very difficult to find things that we can all do together because he shies away from a lot of things.  It's been hard, but we make it work.  That is one reason we visit different baseball stadiums on vacation every year.  The beach didn't work for us (feel of the sand, waves rolling in and out,etc) but baseball is something we all enjoy.  We started last year when we went to Chicago.  That was the first family vacation we had ever been on the we enjoyed!!!!

Anyway, we are sitting here enjoy a night off from work.  The GBraves are winning (of course, because I'm not there!)  Steven and are I are in our room working and watching the Braves, of course.  The boys are downstairs watching WWE Monday Night RAW, of course.  So goes a Monday night at the Julian home.

No comments: