Sunday, July 21, 2013

Family Day

What a great day!

Background:  My mom has 4 sisters, all of whom are married and have children.  And now their children have children!  So I have lots of aunts, uncles, cousins, and 2nd cousins on my mom's side of the family.  It just so happened that a lot of their birthdays fell in July.  So, many years ago, even before my mom died, my aunt Fredna (who lives in a nice house with a pool) and Uncle John started hosting what was called a July birthday party.  Every year we would get together at their house and swim and celebrate birthdays.  It was always a great time to see family that we don't see much and get caught up.  (This was before Facebook!)

Well, everyone has gotten older and not as enthused to celebrate their birthdays perhaps, but the tradition still continues.  Once a year we get together for swimming and family time.  My kids look forward to it every year.  They know when July comes around that it is time to go to Aunt Fredna's (the one with the diving board) and swim and eat.  Well....today was that day!  We actually counted 17 family members who weren't able to make it, but we still had a full house.  It's always great to see everyone and talk.  Facebook is good, but it doesn't replace face to face conversation and a hug.

I found out today that my cousin and his wife are expecting a new baby.  (They already have a 2 year old girl who is just precious!)  My other cousin's fiancé is not feeling well and is having some tests run to find out what is wrong (prayer request!).  My aunt still drives a bus but they closed one of the schools that she drives to.  A cousin is getting used to life in Birmingham, a 2nd cousin loves baseball and is an umpire, etc, etc.  I could go on and on.  I just love catching up with them.

Steven has always said great things about my mom's family.  I guess I always took it for granted because I was so used to them and their friendliness.  But he's right.  My cousin's fiancé came and without my cousin.  She already feels like part of the family.  That's the way it's always been.  They are very welcoming to new member and make them feel right at home.  And, even though my parents are no longer living, they still include me and my sister in their family activities and keep us in the loop.  I am so blessed to have such wonderful family around me!

The kids enjoyed the pool and all the playmates.  (There would have been more but 2 of my cousins who had kids the same age couldn't make it.)  Elijah even spent more time UNDER the water than above it!  I was shocked and pleased all at the same time.  He's stubborn and does things in his own way, in his own time.  But he DOES do them.

I am just feeling tremendously blessed today.  Thanks family!

No comments: